This recipe is for few of the audience who requested the recipe of simple Nutritious Dal Khichadi @ Texas Vegfest in Austin yesterday!
Quick Spinach Dal Khicahdi(Vegan)
- BASMATI RICE 1 CUP
- GREEN OR YELLOW MOONG DAL(SPLIT) 1 CUP
- WATER 6 CUP
- SPINACH 2 CUP (chopped)
- BLACK PEPPER POWDER 1 TSP
- TURMERIC POWDER 1/2 TSP
- CUMIN SEEDS 1/4 TSP
- PEPPERCORNS 1TSP
- CINNAMON STICS 3(small)
- BAY LEAVES 2
- OIL 1 TBSP
- CHOPPED ONION 1 CUP
- FRESH GARLIC(grated) 1TSP
- FRESH GINGER(grated)1TSP
- CHOPPED CILENTRO 1/2 cup
- ASAFETIDA 1TSP(you can buy this in any indian store)
- SALT 1 TBSP or AS NEEDED
- Wash and soak the rice and dal in water for 10 minutes.
- In a pressure cooker add Oil
- When Oil is hot add cumin seeds,peppercorn,cinnamon,bayleaves,asafetida
- Now add the Onions,Ginger,Garlic and saute till it becomes translucent
- time to add turmeric powder,black pepper powder
- follwed by Spinach, Cilentro, Salt and sauté for a min
- Now add soaked Rice and Dal along with the water
- Now its time to check for the salt, add as per your taste!
- Pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Your healthy pot meal is ready!
- Serve hot with plain curd or just as it is.